Dropshipping is a great way to meet customer demand in a flexible and reliable way, but different sellers use dropshipping in different ways. That's why SKULabs offers different ways to manage dropshipped orders/items, both manually and through intelligent automation.
Integration with sales channel settings
Whenever possible, it's ideal for your sales channel to be in charge of directing dropshipped items to the appropriate supplier. This is especially handy for products that are always dropshipped, since there is no decision making to be done based on stock availability or shipping cost.
Some sales channels offer built-in support for dropshipping and can communicate with your suppliers as soon as orders with dropshipped products are placed. For example, Shopify offers custom fulfillment services that allow you to link products to third-party fulfillment services.
SKULabs recognizes when these fulfillment services are responsible for dropshipping order items and will hide those from view during picking and shipping. That way, your team can focus on just the items they need to ship out of your warehouse.
Setting up dropshipping distributors
SKULabs maintains a list of distributors that you order goods from in our Purchasing section. Distributors can have custom part numbers and prices for the items you purchase from them, and you can easily create purchase orders from other parts of SKULabs, such as the Items list and Orders list.
Distributors can also be utilized for dropshipping workflows. If you rely on a distributor frequently for dropshipping, here are some steps to make dropshipping easier:
- If you haven't already, visit the Inventory Settings page and fill in the Purchase Order Emails settings and verify your e-mail address.
- Visit the Distributors page and select Add distributor to set up the new distributor.
- In addition to the distributor's contact information and communication settings, be sure to enable the Email distributor when POs are created setting.
- (Optional) If you receive regular inventory updates from this distributor regarding inventory available for dropshipping, create a Warehouse for use as the distributor's Default Warehouse.
Manually creating a dropship order
Once your dropshipping distributors are set up, it's easy to direct orders and order items to them as needed.
With an order open, scroll down to the Purchase Orders panel and select Add Purchase Order.
Many sellers will always dropship certain items if an order is shipping to a particular region, or based on other order criteria. In many of these cases, dropshipping can be automated through the use of shipping rules:
For most filters and actions, shipping rules will trigger as soon as an order syncs into SKULabs, assuming the order meets the criteria specified. For further assistance automating your dropshipping workflows, please contact our support team.
Managing dropshipped orders after fulfillment
SKULabs makes managing dropship fulfillment progress and completion efficient by providing your supplier with two links in purchase order emails:
- One link for acknowledge the receipt of the purchase order
- A second link for submitting a tracking number of the shipment sent to your customer. This allows SKULabs to automatically send the tracking number to the sales channel, transition the order to shipped status in SKULabs and set the status of the purchase order to closed.
Communicate with your supplier and request acknowledging receipt of purchase orders and submitting tracking numbers when they are shipped using the links provided in purchase order emails.