The SKULabs Print and Scale client allows us to send a link to a PDF / ZPL file directly to your computer. The client then uses your system default printer settings to print that file directly on your computer from any device using SKULabs.
For most users, you can install and start printing out of the box. Occasionally, your printer may require additional configuration on-site to get up and running. This process can take some time, and may require some back and forth with our team but once configured it is rare to have to revisit these settings.
Do you remember if the SKULabs Print & Scale client was installed as a service? If you think it was installed as a service and you're not comfortable using the windows registry to change your printer settings (advanced IT staff only), you should uninstall then re-install as a standalone.
You need to configure your Windows "default printer settings". The SKULabs Print and Scale Client uses your system default printer settings for each printer. By default, windows may not properly select the correct paper type for most label printers even if you install their drivers. Additional windows Zebra and Dymo configuration options are available that control page margin and print quality.
If you're still having trouble printing on Mac after configuration, here are some additional steps to debug your "CUPS print driver".
- Make sure the SKULabs Print & Scale client is running.... see the PrintNode Troubleshooting area
- If you are having problems with double-printing, see our double-printing article.
- As indicated above, you must configure your system's default printer settings for SKULabs to work properly with your printer. See the instructions above to configure your paper type and other settings if your labels or documents are not printing properly.
- On Windows, SKULabs Print & Scale client should not be "installed as a service".
- Ensure dithering is disabled in your label printer settings. This can make barcodes appear pixelated when they are provided to us in raster format.
- Ensure you've set the correct DPI for your label printer. By default, it's 203 DPI for most label printers but check with your label printer manufacturer.
- You must re-select the printer in the printer drop down if you rename your printers. The same applies when you switch USB ports or add a USB hub which can automatically rename the printer e.g. "Zebra ZP400 (3)". The more you switch your printer around, the harder it will become to identify the correct copy in the printer selection list.
- For optimal performance, the printer list displayed day to day will be locally cached on your device up to 60 minutes. Sign out of SKULabs or visit your printer settings page in SKULabs to force a refresh of your device's local copy of the printer list.
- If you have more than 225 printers you will receive a warning indicating a requirement to contact SKULabs to support more than 250 printers. Alternatively, you can delete duplicate deactivated printers from your machine's device manager.
- Review our supported printers. Printers outside of this list should still work.
- Check the PrintNode FAQ for more hints and tips
Losing access to your printers remotely doesn't have to halt your fulfillment operation.
Here are a few workarounds:
- You can always print locally using your web browser's print dialog one at a time. Set your printer defaults to local view/print PDF and bypass printer selection for the best experience with local printing.
- You can also print multiple orders at a time using the bulk shipment process. Clear sections of orders at a time then follow through with the bulk shipment process.
- You can manage multiple orders by navigating to your processing orders page to print multiple packing slips at a time, then processing those orders individually, and finally navigating to your shipments page to print labels for many orders at a time using one PDF.
- Try setting up Google Cloud Print as a last resort. Google Cloud Print will be disabled by Google on January 1st, 2021. Until then, it serves as a slower and less reliable alternative to the SKULabs Print & Scale client.